Bobbi Brown has added another (two) strings to her bow, with the addition of two retouching products to the coveted retouching collection.
If you already love the retouching powder for its flawless finish, you’ll need to add the retouching pencil and wand to your shopping list. We caught up with Bobbi Brown herself to find out more about the latest additions to the retouching collection…
What’s the inspiration behind the new Retouching Products?
When I started out as an aspiring makeup artist, I studied magazine covers to try and recreate the beauty looks. Later, I learned that all covers are retouched. But by then I knew how to make skin look naturally flawless using only makeup. Since the beginning, I’ve always focused on creating natural-looking, perfect skin —whether it’s evening out a complexion with skin tone correct foundation formulas, using retouching products to correct or a combination of the two. Ultimately, I’ve worked to perfect the natural nude look for all skin tones and ensuring that skin always looks like skin.
In a few words, how would you describe the benefits/purpose of the three retouching products?
- Retouching Face Pencil – illuminates, lightens, covers and neutralizes.
- Retouching Wand – seamlessly and invisibly evens out skin.
- Retouching Powders – correct and enhance.
What’s the best way to use these products?
Retouching Face Pencil
- To brighten dark, recessed areas, choose a pencil 1-2 shades lighter than your skin tone, and then apply on recessed parts of the face like the inner corners of eyes, around the nose and corners of mouth.
- To retouch sun spots and age spots, choose a pencil 1-2 shades lighter than skin tone, and then layer a pencil that matches your skin tone. Tip: After covering any dark spots, follow with foundation applied all over the face. Use a light hand when smoothing on the foundation to avoid rubbing off the pencil.
- To correct redness and discoloration, choose a pencil that matches your skin tone, and apply before or after foundation wherever you see redness. Tip: You can use Retouching Face Pencil on bare skin as your all-in-one skin perfector or over foundation for additional coverage where you need it.
- To highlight and enhance the complexion, apply the Illuminate shade on the top of cheekbones, the inner corners of the eyes and on brow bones.
The Retouching Wand
- To even out bare skin, starting applying at the center of the face and blend outwards with fingers.
- To create a nude glow, first apply tinted moisturizer or tinted moisturizing balm all over the face, then use the wand for added coverage anywhere you see redness or unevenness.
- To perfect your foundation, after applying foundation, lightly sweep the wand over skin to smooth, enhance and create the most polished look.
Can you share an example of how you could use all three products together- Retouching Face Pencil, Retouching Wand, Retouching Powder?
1. After moisturizing skin, apply your favorite skin tone tinted moisturizer or foundation formula.
2. If you have sun or age spots on your cheeks and forehead, choose a Retouching Face Pencil 1-2 shades lighter than your skin tone to neutralize the area, and then apply a thin, even layer directly from the pencil and blend with clean finger tips or foundation brush. You can also use a creamy concealer brush for smaller areas of discoloration.
3. If you also have redness around your nose, apply a skin tone correct shade of Retouching Wand directly from the sponge tip application, and then blend outwards with fingers.
4. You can set or continue to correct your base makeup application with a Retouching Powder. Based on your skin tone, you could use the Yellow shade to further town down redness.
Tip: For a soft flush of color, use the Rose or Pink shades as blush, applying onto the apples of cheeks, blending up and back toward the hairline.
Want some more ideas for how to use the retouching collection? Watch our exclusive Bobbi Brown how-to video…
Available September 8.
Shop Bobbi Brown