I was kindly invited to a rather swish event last week, The Contour Fashion Ball at The Savoy Hotel. The event is a chance for the lingerie industry to raise some funds for key charities that are important to them and this year was their 50th anniversary.
The 2011 Ball committee’s Chairwoman was Debenhams’ very own Head of Lingerie Buying & Design, Sharon Webb, who looked fabulous and gave a heartfelt speech about the charities we were all there to support – The Fashion & Textile Children’s Trust and The Retail Trust.
Everyone from the team at Wonderbra (who I was sitting with) to Gossard and event sponsors Triumph were there. Money was raised by raffles, a photo booth and auctions including an exclusive dress designed by Julien Macdonald and Debenhams shopping vouchers plus afternoon tea at The Savoy.
I’m pleased to say that Sharon’s target of £50,000 was achieved and this year’s event raised more money than any other in the ball’s 50 year history.
So… what did I wear? That’s always the dilemma us girls face when confronted with a special event. I tried on lots of dresses but in the end opted for this lovely red Debut dress accessorised with EB by Erickson Beamon jewellery. The sheer straps and draped neckline meant a strapless bra was a must and I’m definitely a fan of Wonderbra’s Ultimate Strapless bra for support that won’t budge all night long.
What to wear to a ball tips:
- Read the dress code, white tie means ball gowns but black tie allows for shorter cocktail dresses too.
- Start with your lingerie, if it fits well and is supportive your outfit will look better and you’ll feel more comfortable and confident.
- If your event includes a 3 course dinner, choose a dress that won’t be too tight across your tummy.
- Skyscraper heels are great, but I reckon it’s better to go with heels you’re comfortable in so you can dance the night away and fully enjoy the evening.
- The finishing touches, like having your nails, brows or hair done, are a luxury but they’ll complete the look so you feel totally glam and ready to party.
Here’s a couple more sneak peeks from inside the ball, and the results of my photobooth session with the gorgeous style blogger Gem Fatale. Check out her famous Tuesday Tips for easy ways to be thrifty.